The magazine Design-IT arrived today with one of my pieces on the front and the article for it inside. Nice start to the day.
I made two postcards yesterday to send to friends - they were copies of one of my mini panels - that's the only way I can part with my work - hope they don't mind.
My OH brought a bag full of books home from the camera club last night. The wife of one of the members died and he sent me her embroidery books because he knew I did embroidery. Need to find a home for most of them as some are repeats or not my field. It was a kind gesture.
I keep getting distracted by a pair of Dunnock collecting moss to build a nest in the hedge just outside the window. They are my favourite bird. They have a beautiful song - similar but much sweeter than the blackbird.
Now for a little workshop.
I have been making some jewellery using the Ancient Egyptians as the design source to add to the project.
Most illustrations of the Egyptians show them wearing broad wrist bands so I decided to make one using fabric and fibres.
First I made a sandwich of sheer fabrics with a filling of dyed synthetic fibres.
This was pinned to soluble fabric stretched in a frame.
I used spirals and a simple flower which were used by them for decoration.
I drew the design on the soluble fabric so had to work from the back. I couched gold twist following the design.
Once the design was applied I pulled some cord through a length of gold Rowan knitted tube yarn to make it solid. Then I used a zig zag machine stitch to couch the gold yarn in rows along the top and bottom. I had to unpick and restitch part of the top two rows to smooth then out. You can probably see where that was as I took the photo before I altered it.
Once the stitching was complete it was removed from the soluble and the surplus fabric cut away using a soldering iron to seal the edges.
Loops of gold covered elastic and two gold beads were used for fasteners.
Simple to make, comfortable to wear and washable!