Time for another post.
I have been busy continuing with my recycling and have created more bags and
one was created from an unwanted vest top and skirt. The main body of
the bag used up the front and back of the vest top. The gusset and
strap of the bag were made from the length of the skirt as was the
lining. I made a stencil of leaves and used oil sticks to stencil the
design over the surface of the fabric except for the lining which was
left unstencilled. All the stencilled pieces were then made into a
quilting sandwich and I followed the lines of the original design on the
fabric to do the free machine quilting.This tote has a zip closing the
full width of the tote.
bag was made from a recycled floral pleated skirt. The colours were
very pastelly so I painted the flowers with metallic acrylic paints.
All the pieces were then free machine quilted using a matching metallic
thread. I used clear plastic shower curtain rings to attach the handle
to the body of the bag.
fabric for this bag used to be a 'batwing' blouse. I wonder how many
of you remember the 'batwing' era. I suppose it will reappear sometime
when the fashion industry think we have we have all finally disposed of
them as they did with flared trousers. The design was a flower and leaf
design which lent itself to quilting. The centres of the large flowers
were covered in large dots. I decided to use French knots for these
which were highlighted with gold gilding wax. I used an old pair of
twill 'flared' trousers for the piping and the strap. A recycled green
skirt which had the colour of one of the leaves in the design was used
for the lining.
There are a few more bags waiting to be photographed and will hopefully be ready for the next post.
well as the bag making I have been doing quite a lot of photography.
Now that the weather is picking up (Hmmm - well it was until it snowed
and here is the proof.
is what is still on the North Yorkshire moors four days after the snow
which closed most of the roads and left thousands of home with no
electricity for four days. Brrrr. And we thought that we were getting
an early summer!!!)
Before the snow we had been on a couple of photo shoots on glorious warm sunny days.
I love macro photography, I went to a florist and bought a large purple
chrysanthemum to photograph. This was an excellent buy as it has
lasted over two weeks already and is still looking reasonably good.
was taken just after I removed the net protector which kept it closed.
I was able to do lots of photography at each stage of its opening.
a week later I noticed that new petals were growing from the centre so I
used a glycerine and water solution and sprayed the flower - the
glycerine holding the water droplets in place.
am preparing to give a talk and presentation of one of my textile
projects on Tuesday so if the weather is nice!!! we can call into Whitby
on the way and take some more photographs and have a delicious fish
from our favourite 'Chippy'.
That's all for now so until the next post.......