This will probably be the last post until after Christmas. My OH and I went to visit family today to deliver cards and presents.
It was my grandson's 9th birthday at the weekend. He was so excited about this birthday for some reason he couldn't get to sleep. He went bounding into his parents bedroom at 1am and shouted "Well, what do you say to the birthday boy then?" They were waiting for him to go to sleep so that they could sneak his present into his playroom ready for the next morning. Then he set his alarm clock so that he would wake up early......
It reminded me of someone else who did that!! a long time ago!
Apart from all the seasonal preparations, of which I do as little as possible, I have still been able to do some creative work of the textile variety or should I say of the 'paper' variety.
Earlier this year we went to Rievaulx Abbey to do some photography on the abbey ruins. Two of the many photos I took were of some ruined arches with beautiful carving still very evident.
I decided to represent the carved patterns with 'paper' casts.
When I was in a well known DIY store I found some lengths of wood decorative mouldings with carved patterns on them. I bought several of them with an eye to using them for moulding the patterns. Now was the time to put that idea to the test. I used the same method as for the shells in the previous post. I covered about 15cm of the moulding with wet 'loo' paper and a stiffening agent. When there were enough layers I gave it a final coat of stiffening agent and left it to dry.
I wanted some different patterns and sizes in these casts so I made some card moulds of smaller squares and triangles and still using the 'loo' paper method, made more lengths of moulded patterns.
Next I had to prepare the background fabric. I chose one of my favourite fabrics - a sandy beige simulated suede. I mixed some acrylic paint and sponged the shape of the two ruined columns using a cut paper template to obtain the shape of the side of the column. After several different layers of colour and sponging, I had the background ready for the patterned moulds.
When the paper moulds were dry, they were removed from the card and wood, painted and sponged to match the background. Some were cut in order to create the curves. Then they were stitched in place with couched threads and cords and free machined stitching. I left the loose thread ends as I quite liked the effect. I can always cut them off later if I change my mind.
The piece will be mounted on a frame when I find the time to make it.
So another piece completed. I have completed four others but they will have to wait until the next post.
Seasons greetings to all.