Sunday 13 July 2008

Second piece of the 'new batch'

The Memories piece is finished and as it is very similar to the already posted image unless looked at closely I am not going to post another image of it. When I look at the three layers of stitching, I wonder how many Sorbello stitches I have stitched.

I have now begun the next piece. I chose one of the Art Nouveau designs which I now realise is an interpretation of the star sign Pices. I was well on with it before I twigged. Although I am not into star signs or astrology, the designs for them have been the source for a lot of art. I have a collection of Celtic design star signs which are beautiful pieces of art.

First I isolated the design from the page and enlarged it to 30cm square. I printed it out for my pattern. Next I stretched some silk over a frame and colour washed it.

I taped the printed pattern onto the back of the silk and traced the design.

Now I needed to choose the threads I would use. I have to admit that I do have a lot of threads collected over many many years - and still collecting. I love rayon and metallic threads the best. This is the colour palette I chose. I was torn between bold and bright or cool and gentle. I chose cool and gentle.

One of the fish is to be aqua based and the other purple. The blues are for the sea of course. There will be further additions - possibly metallic twist but I will decide that as I go.

Some years ago when I was working on one of my big projects, I dyed some rayon thread in the variegated colours I needed to matched the landscape colours in the photos I took. I still have some left and pleased it will fit into this piece.

The silk has been removed from the frame and sandwiched with 2oz batting and a cotton backing. I have already stitched the two fish and I am really enjoying it. Free machining is my first love and the more intricate the better and these fish are very intricate. You will have to wait for the next post to see them.

Cheers everyone.

1 comment:

Purple Missus said...

Those colours together look scrumptious.
How did you manage to dye rayon thread?
I'm sure I would have got in a right pickle with it.