It s a long time since my last post but I have been busy travelling.
spent a couple of weeks in Florida just chilling out by the villa pool
and in the hot tub. As always I took some work with me. I took my
Inktense pencils to paint over some printed silk (I will explain why
later in this post) and some blackwork and gold work.
We were only home for 7 days before flying off to Venice. This was a return visit.
was very, very hot and very, very busy. Not the best conditions to
walk and walk and walk taking lots of photographs with a very heavy
camera. It was certainly more of an endurance than a holiday. I am so
glad we were there two years ago when it wasn't quite so hot nor so
busy. The two visits have given me a huge design source now that all
the images have been processed. I created a few pieces after the last
visit but now I have begun to develop a project based on my visits to
I did post one of my art quilts last year which was created from images of the Basilica.
This was the image I used. I played with it in Photoshop and applied a special effect with this result.
I added a colour for the sky.
Then I duplicated the image, inverted etc.etc to create this final design.
painted a piece of silk using the colours for the background sky
although a lot paler than the design shows. I then printed the domes
design onto another piece of silk, reinforced it with iron on Vilene and
cut it out. I made a quilt sandwich with the sky background and free
machined the domes onto this using a pale copper metallic thread. I made
some changes to the design as I progressed. I still need to make a
decision about an edge for the quilt but this is it so far.
next piece or pair of pieces were based on two images I took of two
masks hanging outside a small shop in a side street in Venice. They
caught my eye because they were more subtle than most of the other
elaborate masks in the Venice shops.
isolated the masks, printed them onto transfer paper for dark fabrics,
cut them out and ironed them onto black cotton. I used gold twinkling
H2O to paint over the gold scrolls. Next I quilted around the edges of
the masks and eyes then quilted the background. I covered the masks and
sprayed the background with gossamer gold moondust. Finally I free
machined over the music and used French knots for the notes.
The next piece was created from an image of the Grand canal.
was rather a dullish day that day so the image was also a bit dull so I
put it into Photoshop and applied a filter called cartoon. It produced
a nice stylised effect which I printed onto silk.
one of the inks banded during the printout so I took it away with me
and used the Inktense pencils to paint over the printed silk to cover
the banding. Once home I made up the quilt sandwich and free machine the
design with a fine black thread. I edged it with a dark blue satin.
Another rescued piece.
The next piece is a favorite. It turned out better than I expected.
It was inspired by the Palazzo Contarini del Bolovo. It was very difficult to find down some very narrow passageways.
I used a close up of one level of the spiral stairway.
put this into Photoshop and applied a number of special effects. I
created six different effects and printed them onto cotton. Then I
selected the wall area of the image and created vertical and horizontal
spacers and printed them onto cotton. They were all made up into small
individual quilts. I free machine them all using a fine black thread.
They were edged with satin stitch and joined together. I had to take
care to keep the sizes correct throughout the stitching so that they
would fit together in the final construction. Love it.
have completed the hand embroidery on a number of iPod pouches which
are now waiting to be lined and made up into pouches, hopefully for the
I have some time at home now before the next trip, so I
can get on with more pieces which are in various stages of progress.
So back to it.
Cheers for now everyone.